P1: Layout (due May 31)
A strong design process and understanding of composition are important to being an effective designer. This project has you showing process while generating composition ideas for a book cover using specific constraints.
This project is completed individually.
P1: Layout is worth 5% of your final grade.
From May 17 to May 31
This project only lasts one week. During this week you will generate ideas for the book covers, refine them, and assemble a document showing your process.
There are a very specific set of constraints for this project to help focus on working with type and composition:
- Dimensions of the cover are 5.5" (wide) by 8.5" (tall).
- Only the following shades are permitted:
- Black — 0,0,0,100 (CMYK)
- White — 0,0,0,0 (CMYK)
- 70% Gray — 0,0,0,70 (CMYK)
- Only the following text — author name, title, and subtitle — is to be included:
- Juliana Perez
- The Design of Book Covers: An exercise
- Only the attached Simvoni font (from Amru) is permitted.
Please complete the following:
- Working with the constraints provided, generate 30 thumbnail sketches to explore different layouts for the book cover. These sketches need to explore different ideas, not small variations on the same idea.
- How to establish a clear type hierarchy.
- How to compose all the text to direct and engage a reader.
- How to use empty spaces in the design actively.
- Select three of your thumbnail sketches and create a refined version of each of the three. These refined versions will:
- Show the treatment of type used.
- Show the use of colours.
- Use the text provided.
- Select one of your refined sketches and create a digital version. What program you use is up to you.
Assemble your process into a letter-sized (8.5" x 11") PDF that uses headings and layout to effectively provide an overview of your process. Ensure the PDF:
- Shows the sketches clearly — if taking a photo, make sure there is good lighting.
- Clearly indicates which sketches were selected and refined.
- Uses the headings to help guide us through the document.
Grading for this project focuses on process and the presentation of process. Please email Andrew with any questions about the rubric.
Exploration quality and quantity (3 pts)
The quantity of layout options are more than required and exploring very different ideas.
The quantity of layout options are the same as required and explore different ideas.
The quantity of layout options are less than required or explore similar ideas.
The quantity of layout options are significantly less than required and/or explore significantly similar ideas.
Followed the constraints (1 pts)
All constraints — dimensions, colour, text, and font — have been followed.
One constraint — dimensions, colour, text, or font — has not been followed.
Two or more constraints — dimensions, colour, text, and/or font — have not been followed.
Polish (1 pts)
Headings and structure in the submission are used effectively to provide a clear overview of the process.
Headings and structure in the submission are used somewhat effectively to provide an understandable overview of the process.
Headings and structure are in the submission are used ineffectively, and provide a difficult to understand overview of the process.
Final submission requirements (May 31)
The final submission for P1 is a letter-sized (8.5" x 11") PDF of your process.
Your project submission is due to Canvas before your May 31 lab.
Please make sure double-check all your submitted files and URLs to ensure they can be opened. We want to avoid late or problematic submission penalties whenever possible.