Covered in this lecture:
- Responsive vs adaptive design
- CSS grids
Full lecture slides will be available the day of the lecture.
Why Do Invalid Sites Still Work?
Browsers are kind, benevolent beings
Browsers are more likely to ignore errors then tell you about them. This makes it easier for you to make websites that 'render' but will not work consistently in the future.
Elements of Responsive Design
The pieces you need:
- Relative units
- Fluid grids
- Media queries
Parent & Child Elements
Points on Breakpoints
Where and when should our web layout collapse?
- Let your content decide
- Use relative units (always)
- Grids are your bestest friends
- Avoid an absolute process
This week's labs
- CSS Layout exercise
- Introduction to P3 final
Next Week's Lecture...
More on web layout and the quiz.
Things to note
- You will have 30 minutes.
- You will be completing it on paper.
- It will be open book, but not open laptop.
- It will use any of the three readings since the last quiz.
- There will be 2-4 short answer questions.
- Office hours — Tuesdays from 2:30-3:20pm and Thursdays from 9:30-10:20am at the Surrey campus mezzanine.