Balance and Hierarchy Sketch (due Sept. 12)
On this page:
This is old content
Andrew is not currently teaching IAT-235. This material is left online for reference only.
Working within the constraints set for P1, you will be generating two sets of sketches to explore balance and hierarchy. Each sketch must show all project content, and be no larger than 2" tall.
Sketch set #1
This set of sketches will explore balance. You will generate four sketches, one for each prompt below. Please label each sketch.
- Sketch a symmetrical layout.
- Sketch an asymmetrical layout.
- Sketch a symmetrical layout without centering everything.
- Sketch an asymmetrical layout that uses empty space to focus attention.
Sketch set #2
This set of sketches will explore hierarchy. You will generate four sketches, one for each prompt below. Please label each sketch.
- Sketch a layout with as little-to-no hierarchy as possible.
- Sketch a layout that only uses space to create hierarchy.
- Sketch a layout that only uses alignment of elements to create hierarchy.
- Sketch a layout that only uses scale of type to create hierarchy.
Once done, please scan or photograph your sketches for submission as one JPG file. You will be graded on completing the number of sketches required and the readability of your sketches.
You are allowed to use this exercise as part of your project.
Your submission is due to Canvas before midnight on Sept. 12.